Monday, January 4, 2010

Make your own edible fruit arrangement!


Gift-giving can be really hard these days, especially for adults. I don't like the idea of giving cut flowers as a gift. They are pretty for a few days... and then they die. I like for things to be a little more useful.

I have given cookie baskets before, but who really wants a bunch of shortbread cookies right after the holidays? Plus, they cost an arm and a leg! There had to be another option. That is when I saw an ad for Edible Arrangements. It looked really interesting and practical. Everyone likes fruit, right? Plus, it is healthy!

It seemed like the perfect plan until I checked the price: The average price for a medium arrangement is around $75! (not including delivery, etc.) Now, that is a lot of money for some fruit on a stick! 

I thought, How hard can it be to make one? Here is what I did:


Step One: Find a container the size and shape that you want. I used a plastic beach pail from Wal-Mart for $.99.(I wanted a beach theme.) The fruit will make it top-heavy so fill the bottom with something heavy. I used some rocks from my backyard





Step Two:
Fill the container with styrofoam found in the floral department. (@ $.99)





Step Three:
Cover all the styrofoam with parsley. (I used curled-leaf Italian.)








Step Four:
If you want to make pineapple flowers, Cut the pineapple about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Use a large cookie cutter to cut out the design. (I found mine at the Dollar Tree in a set.)


Step Five:
Use bamboo skewers as the "stems." ($.99 a bag. I used one large bag.) I left the pointed side up to make it easier to skewer the fruit.







Step Six:
Start adding other small, firm fruit to the arrangement, turning it as you go. You want it to look nice from all sides. Be sure not to poke all the way through the fruit, if it is the top layer!







Step Seven:
Continue filling in with the fruit until it looks even and nice from all sides. You may have to cut the skewers to get different heights. Fruits used: pineapple, strawberries, seedless red grapes, small apricots and small red plums.







Step Eight:
Cover all the empty spaces with flat leaf parsley. I just tucked them in all around the fruit. Tip: Keep this arrangement cool as you transport it. It will stay perfect for a least a day if it does not get too warm.








Total cost of this arrangement was less than $25.00! Can you believe it? I saved at least $50 by doing it myself! I had fun, too!

Plus, the recipient knew I put a lot of love into their gift. That is priceless!

No comments: