Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Gourmet pizza on a dime!


The other day, I saw an advertisement for a menu item called Pita Pizza. It looked delicious!

The pita pizza had marinara sauce and grilled chicken topped with feta cheese, basil & pepperoncinis. It was served on pita bread and baked to perfection with a side salad.

The problem? It costs $8.95 plus tax! YIKES! I started thinking... I bet I could make something like that!

I bought a pack of oat bran pitas. (These are my very favorite pitas ---plus they are whole grain!) A pack of six pitas cost only $1.29. I already had some Classico spaghetti sauce that I bought BOGO (with a coupon of course) the other day. All I lacked was some mozzarella cheese and toppings.

Here is my recipe for the best Pita Pizzas on the planet! (In my humble opinion... : ) )

Ingredients:
6 pita rounds (I use oat bran or whole wheat)
2 tablespoons of olive oil (or butter)
1 cup of spaghetti sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese
toppings of your choice (I used turkey pepperoni, whole black olives and chopped sun dried tomatoes)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Warm pitas in the microwave for one minute or until soft. Place all six pitas on a large baking sheet. Brush pita rounds with olive oil or butter, pressing to flatten while spreading. Spoon spaghetti sauce over pita rounds. Top with mozzarella and desired toppings. Place in the preheated oven 8 minutes, or until the pita bread has reached desired crispness. Serve whole or cut into slices. Try not to burn your tongue on the cheese as you eat them hot from the oven. : )

My kids would eat these every single day if I would let them...which I have considered because they are so healthy, cheap, and easy to make! I serve them with a good-sized salad to make a filling and delicious meal.

I estimate it costs around $7 - $8 to make SIX individual pita pizzas with side salads. The best part, each person can design their own pizza according to their likes and dislikes. If we were to go to a restaurant to eat them, it would cost over $50 for six meals! That is a savings of around $45!

Even better than that ---it is SO much easier than making your own dough. It used to take hours to make pizza... now, it only takes minutes!

No comments: